Manufacturers depend on a well-coordinated chain of events to make their operations work effectively. With the new on-demand economy and industry pressures from their customers, manufacturers are now more than ever looking for ways to modernize and optimize their processes.
The implementation of enterprise software systems such as enterprise resource planning (ERP), warehouse management (WMS), production control and supply chain visibility applications is one aspect of this modernization. But these systems depend on high-quality, real-time data for companies to reap the full extent of their benefits. Participants at all points of the supply chain and manufacturing process must produce and provide timely and accurate information, or productivity and profitability will suffer. So another aspect of the modernization in the industry is tied to equipping the workforce with devices that enable the automation of data collection from technologies such as barcoding and RFID.
Benefits of barcoding and RFID in the manufacturing industry
- Known inventory and item location at all times, which reduces search time and reduces inventory stocks
- Enhanced compliance, work-in-process productivity, and reduced cost of finished goods
- Real-time monitoring of production, order fulfilment and distribution processes
- Enhanced productivity and reduction of labor costs by elimination of manual steps
- Increased order and shipping accuracy – orders are shipped on time and complete, which in turn improves customer satisfaction
Modernization in the warehouse
The warehouse is one of the areas where manufacturers allocate a great deal of their efforts within the frame of enterprise software and equipping workforce with devices. In a recent study carried out by Zebra Technologies on warehouse modernization trends covering a variety of industry IT and operational decision-makers (30% of which came from the manufacturing industry) it was found that:
- 77% of the correspondents agree they need to modernize their warehouse operations
- 54% will have implemented full-featured warehouse management and mobile execution systems by 2024
- 73% plan to begin modernization by equipping workers with mobile devices
BARTEC´s long-standing experience in the manufacturing industry
Over the past 20 years, Bartec has been supplying the manufacturing industry with mobile devices, particularly in the Petrochemical, Chemical, and Pharmaceutical sectors, where the presence of flammable substances is common. We offer a variety of devices with different form factors and data capture capabilities – from tablets (Agile series), to hand-held computers (MC92 and TC75X), and barcode scanners (BCS3600 series) – to cater to the different needs of our customers.
Is your company implementing a new software management system or expanding the functionality of their current one and is looking to acquire Ex certified mobile devices to go with it? Contact our team for hazardous area-safe solutions here